Là nous avons enfin donné un sérieux coup de nettoyage à l’extérieur du bateau qui était plein de sels. Les vagues ont déchiré le sac du Spi attaché sur le pont et ont l'a perdu. Je remarque une sangle qui reste qui semble elle déchiré aussi, un résultat du chariot cassé?
Il faut savoir prendre son mal en patience, ce qui devrait nous permettre de pleinement profiter de la traversée jusqu’au Azores puis en France !
New Rochelle - Connecticut, story of Célia
Being stuck for 1 week at the marina of New Rochelle with Pascal, we had time to get to know each other. Many people have often asked me the following question: "But, do you think it will do with this guy you do not know ?! »; and my answer has always been the same: "yes, the feeling is good over the phone, and it feels good", and this "good feeling" was quickly confirmed when I met with his companion in New York .
So I have all confidence for our first navigation that takes us to the Westbrook Marina.
The forecasts are good, we let the announced storm to sail under so-called 20-25 knots early aprem, decreasing during the evening.
The departure is done (finally!), We leave quietly of our marina, assemble the GV, then the staysail (small forward sail) with tailwind of 15 knots. This is a discovery for me, I have very little experience in navigation and am here to learn everything. Auto driver en route, Pascal takes the opportunity to make a repair inside. It is obviously at this point that the driver decides to pick up (he is no longer able to maintain his course and therefore does not know what to do).
I observe, calmly, Pascal, maneuver to put us in the right direction, I learn to feel this boat that I do not know and which I can only say, at that moment, that it is stable. I will lie if I say that I have no apprehension, it is always impressive to lie and see the sea at 45 degrees on a sailboat 45 feet. I regain confidence, the driver lets us go 2 or 3 times but I start to feel comfortable,; despite a wind force up to 20 knots.
Suddenly, everything arrives at the same time: gusting to 40 knots, the rail chariot that pulls off the rail (which should not happen!), Therefore we put totally into the wind, which gusts us up at 40 knots, Pascal trying to get hold of the staysail which broke the rail chariot. I try to help him as best I can, that's where I can feel all the power of the wind in this piece of rope that I try to control to put it back on a winch. Anyway it is useless, I cannot fix it on it. Pascal tries to stay on course with the engine, which also decides to break down ... What to say? Stress starts to rise at home, panic would not change anything, so I just hope he'll find the fault to get back on track ... It's not a sure thing, but it seems like I decided to navigate with the right person ; he puts everything right and decides to lower the GV (wind too powerful to navigate with) to continue with the engine. Once the engine is running, everything becomes easier and we are just shaken by the swell and the wind. We will learn the next day at the marina that the wind had risen to 45 knots.
I'm doing my first night navigation, instrument monitoring while Pascal takes a nap. Then he takes the relay and we arrive around 3 am near our destination and downed the anchor to finish the night's sleep and enter quietly the next noon at high tide at the marina.
This baptism, although I am shaken, allows me to learn to feel the boat and discover its stability in the "storm", and to know the captain in difficulty (from my point of view), so I am confident to cross the Atlantic, which is important for us 2.
Also, even if we are falling behind (planned departure on March 26th), and at some point in the making, these events are all linked; the change of the GV allows us to see the cable with 4 strands broken for the genoa, with the delay of the repair of the autopilot making us go through a day windier than expected, it can easily be repaired and not in the open sea! repairing some defective parts makes for a completely serene departure.
The waves we suffered tore off our Spi, which was well attached on deck. But the sun had seriously weakened the canvas of the bag and it tore and the sail disappeared. We had no indication of this loss, which must have taken place in the night, I just noticed the torn bag dangling overboard in the morning and a strap torn which could be the effect of the flying chariot.We must know how to have patience, which should allow us to fully enjoy the crossing to Azores and France!
For my part, I feel very happy and fortunate to have fallen on such an open-minded person to take on an inexperienced stranger, and to give her the opportunity to learn how to realize one of her dreams: to sail.